Friday, March 19, 2010

Recording the little things

My not so little brother Tanner sent me a really sweet text the other day:

"Most kids my age get to say that their first album they ever owned was Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys. I get to say mine was Weezers Blue album. Thanks for being the cool sister and buying it for me on my tenth birthday."

And I thought to myself. Ohhh.

Only there's a small problem.

If you had asked me yesterday, I would have said that I gave that cd to Travis for his birthday.

I hate realizing that my memory is getting fuzzy. Maybe I should stop filling it with useless knowledge and music lyrics.

Or

I could keep a better journal.
I've been been keeping an online journal since 2005. And I've done a really good job of documenting major events, emotions and rants. I have not done a good job of documenting the day to day life. The little things. If I had perhaps there would have been an entry like this:

"Tanner's 10th birthday today. All he does is play basketball and listen to music. So I bought him Weezers Blue Album. I hope he one day appreciates the fact that his first cd isn't Britney Spears."

Then it wouldn't matter if my memory goes fuzzy. Cause it would all be saved. Recorded. For better or worse. So I'm going to try better to capture the little details. All the boring, little details.
Lucky you.

So yesterday's entry:
Woke up at eleven, poked The Boy till he woke up, tried to go sun worship but got tangled in the bedsheets for an hour, finally made it to the pool, worshipped for an hour, went to the gym and tried to convince myself I like to run. Finished running and cursing the gods, then shower, food, errands, finally finishing painting the house, movie, drinks, more drinks and then sleep.

It may not be my most exciting day, but it was MY day. A relaxing day that will probably fade from memory but leave a warm fuzzy spot in my fuzzy memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment