Friday, March 15, 2013

A Clean Start

There is a million things to write about.

I should write about settling in, slowing down and unwinding in our closet by the sea.
I should write about the new and interesting characters that are wandering into my life.
I should write about goodbyes, and how I'm terrible at them.
I should write about the goals that I'm setting for myself.
Instead, I'm going to write about food.

I'm a foodie. I adore all food.Except cherries. And mayo.
Fix is a foodie too. And I adore that about him.
Finding the right combination of admiration of food and being healthy is hard though. We've tried to compensate by working out harder and that works to a degree. However, between the move, a minor surgery, Fix finishing school and the deathly flu that put me in bed for a week, all pretenses of working out or caring what we eat were dropped. Thrown out the window really.

So now we are moved into our closet by the sea. Things are slowing down, we're easing into a routine and having time to realize that take out can't always be the answer. Even if it's fantastic indian food from just around the corner. Or amazing breakfast food down the block. And while the sushi joint next to us is a healthier option, it's a little rough on our wallets.  We both agreed that we needed to take a breather and detox a bit. The fabulous Jocelyn and Erin had previously done the Whole30 challenge and raved about it. The Whole30 is basically a nutritionally reset for your body. You only eat healthy, clean foods. It's giving up dairy and grains and sugar, even when they are just miniscule ingredients in otherwise good food. Initially I wasn't too keen on the idea. Give up cheese and chocolate? Never! I love them too much. But then I realized that loving them too much was part of the problem. What I like about trying the Whole30, is not only does it kind of detox your system, but it helps get rid of those cravings, the need for a bite of sugar after a meal or the need to cover everything in cheesy goodness. And it's only for 30 days. I can do 30 days. I think.

The



Since I am amazing at justifying my actions, and giving up sugar (chocolate!!) is going to be hard on me,  I'm making sure to let as many people know as possible that we're trying this. Fix and I are determined to do this for thirty days but we're also weak willed. So hopefully this will hold me accountable. Also, I'm hoping this will get me back in the habit of writing again. Hopefully I'll start off by writing about the food and how I feel and it'll lead to other musings.
 Hopefully

1 comment: