Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Waking Life

Sometimes I dream so vividly that I can't shake it when I wake.
I can't capture the strength of the dream, but indulge me

I dreamt that I called you. I had to tell you that I had met someone. You deserved to know. Even though we weren't together, even though there were no promises between us. You deserved to know.

You were silent for so long that I began to believe you had disconnected. That once again there would be nothing but silence to remember you by.

"Meet me at the high school. In ten minutes."
Click.

Suddenly I was standing outside the dark doors of the high school. Waiting for you. Not for long. You appeared as suddenly as I had. The way it often happens in dreams. I opened my mouth to explain, to make you understand. Instead of listening passively, you kissed me. Hard. Then, just as quickly you stepped back, threw a black hoodie at me and said

"You want to move on? Fine. Make it to the other side of the high school without me catching you, then I'll believe you when you say there is someone else. I'll let you walk away from this. From us.

But if I catch you, then no more of this nonsense. You stop holding back, stop finding excuses and stop fighting us. "

Without giving me time to process your words, You slammed your foot through the glass door, shattering it and pushed me into the dark and deserted school.

Whispering "Run"


The rest of the dream was more senses then visual. Running so hard my heart was pounding through the dream. Hearing the security alarm going off. The whole school dark, the layout familiar and strange at the same time. Somewhere in the back of my mind was the rationale part of me screaming about breaking and entry and felonies. But it was drowned out by the screaming of the alarm, the beating of my heart and the thrill of knowing you were also in the dark... searching for me.

I'm at a full sprint when your hands closed on my hips. You weren't even out of breathe.

The alarm stopped going off, and your voice whispered in my ear
"I don't run to train for marathons. I run so that when I have my chance with you, there is no way you can get away without me stealing every once of your breathe first."*

I woke up out of breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment